Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Year of Reflection

Exactly one year ago today I lost a dear friend of mine in a car accident. Nych was only 21 when he died and his death shocked everyone who knew him.

I knew Nych from 3rd grade and he and I had remained friends into our adulthood. We had so many memories together from going on school trips together in elementary school, playing in the orchestra together in middle school, and just being goofy in high school. Pretty much all of my memories of Nych from high school make me laugh out loud when I think about them now. He was a huge ball of energy and could always, always make you laugh. He wasn't always a jokester, though, he was a sweetheart as well. I remember my senior year of high school when I was an office aide for my 1st period class he didn't have a first period so he would come to school early just to hang out with me in the office. Then, he would walk me to class just to make sure I wasn't walking alone.

Perhaps one of the most meaningful memories I have with Nych was when he came and danced with me at my wedding. We hadn't seen each other very often after high school but whenever we did he would always make it seem like it had been no time at all and would greet me with a HUGE bear hug and talk to me just like an old friend. I specificallly remember him coming to dance with me during the dollar dance at my reception and he had this giant, loving smile on his face then gave me a huge hug and told me how happy he was for me. I never thought that a year later he would be gone. I think about him and miss him everyday, but I am forever grateful for all of the memories I have to remember him.

Nych, you will be forever missed but you are always in my heart.

No comments: